The Eleanor Barnes Library
The Eleanor Barnes Library is a private library of the Chemung County History website. It is named in honor of Eleanor Barnes Garfield and holds 250 books of local history and manuscripts, 4,700 photographic images, 16 digital reference books, and 21 maps and architectural records.
Our library has been collecting, preserving, and studying resources on the Chemung Valley region since 2007.
Some of our holdings especially worth noting are:
- Postcards and photographs of early Elmira and Chemung County
- Personal and family papers of Chemung Valley residents
- Local sheet music of Elmira and Chemung County
- Records of regional businesses that are no longer in operation
- Published regional history resources
Any questions? Ask our ARCHIVIST. Contact US.