<< Rollover image to
see where this is today!




Chemung Canal 1833 - 1878

from Elmira to Watkins Glen

The last days of the Chemung Canal in downtown Elmira. Albumen stereoscopic view by Elisha Van Aken, circa 1872. The canal was filled in (in Elmira) and became State Street around 1874. The canal was still used elsewhere until 1878. By then railroads had taken over completely.

Home | Books | Links | Visitors | Old Photos/Postcards | Gift Shop
| Barnes Library |
Elmira City Historian
Copyright Chemung County History 1999-2017. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.
Please email for permission to reprint.
Please visit our Book Store and Gift Shop - they help to sustain this website

web design by Diane Janowski