1946 - 4.95 inches of rain brought the May 28th Flood. Cappy's Cards and Gifts opened.
1947 - WELM radio's first broadcast.
1948 - Hamlin's music store opened on Water Street. Who remembers taking lessons?
1949 - Elmira Drive-In opened on Route 352. Tom Sawyer Motel opened on Lake Road.
1950 - Elmira's first parking lot opened on the site of the razed Rathbun Hotel (corner of East Water and Baldwin Streets). First television reception in Chemung County from Binghamton's Channel 12. Elmira's population this year is 49,716 (Our highest was 55,700 in 1942).
1951 - Mount Saviour Monastery opened. Chemung Speedrome opened.
1952 - Fluoridated water introduced to Elmira. Westinghouse Electric plant in Horseheads opened. Four-lane Route 17 opened from Elmira to Lowman.
1953 - Jones Court opened. Chemung County's first television station (WECT Channel 18) went on the air and after a hiatus came back in 1956 as WSYE. Shepherd's Food Market opened in Pine City.
1954 - Remington Rand plant on South Main Street produced its 15 millionth typewriter. Hurricane Hazel brought 90 mph winds recorded at the airport. Horseheads Center Street School opened.
1955 - Cable TV introduced with a $125 installation fee and a $3.50 a month charge. Notre Dame High School opened.
1956 - Red Jacket Motel opened on Route 17. Mayor Edward Mooers served as Elmira's mayor from 1956-1962. Loblaw's Super Market
1957 - Elmira City School District consolidated 29 school districts (including Ashland, Baldwin, Southport, and Town of Elmira) and ended the era of one-room school houses.
1958 - Dedication of Chapel Park in Southport.
1959 - Minier's Super Market opened in Big Flats. Midtown Plaza opened with 15 stores and 200 parking spaces opened in downtown Elmira. Chemung County enacted a sales tax.
1960 - Construction began on the new Elmira Free Academy on Hoffman Street.
1961 - Elmira football hero Ernie Davis became the first African American to win the Heisman Trophy. New Lake Street bridge opened. Broadway and Pine City Elementary Schools opened. Grand Central Plaza opened in Horseheads. Chemung County's 125th Anniversary Parade.
1962 - New Horseheads Village Hall opened.
1963 - Centertown Park-Shop developed with 540 parking spaces. Elmira got "Zip Codes."
1964 - Elmira celebrated its 100th anniversary as a city. Elmira Free Academy's class of 1965 began at the brand new building on Hoffman Street.
1965 Ann Page (A&P) plant opened in Horseheads. Church Street became one-way from Madison Avenue to Coleman Avenue. West Elmira Branch Library opened. ElCor opened.
1966 Blizzard caused drifts 15 feet high.
1967 Arnot Mall opened.
1969 WENY television opened in the Mark Twain Hotel.