1. Take a look at the Chemung River. It's 44 miles long - starts near Corning, NY and joins the Susquehanna River near Sayre, PA.
2. Stroll around the Chemung County Court House area - some beautiful old architecture
3. Take the Mark Twain in Elmira tour. Visit the Mark Twain Study on the Elmira College campus and see where he wrote some of his fine works. That big building next to the study is Cowles Hall - one of the oldest buildings in Elmira - opened in 1855. Also on the campus is the Center for Mark Twain Studies (summer only). Visit Mark's grave in Woodlawn Cemetery.
4. Visit the site of the Elmira Prison Camp - the worst Confederate prisoner of war camp in the north where nearly 3000 prisoners died. Then visit the John W. Jones Museum - not quite open yet, but you can visit the grounds. (John was the former Southern slave who had the responsiblity of burying the 2963 dead Confederate soldiers in Woodlawn National Cemetery ( right across the street from the Jones Museum).
5. Visit Harris Hill Soaring Museum in nearby Big Flats. Elmira was known as the "Glider Capital" of America for many years.
6. Visit the Wings of Eagles National Warplane Museum in nearby Big Flats.
7. Go for a trolley ride - summer only.
8. How about a baseball game at Dunn Field?
9. We also have HOCKEY!
10. And music and events.
11. We have a great ART MUSEUM.
12. Last, but not least, the NEWTOWN BATTLEFIELD STATE PARK - site of a strategic battle in the Revolutionary War.